- bay leaf, small or 1/2 of one
- black beans, 1 can not drained
- garlic, 1 medium to small clove, chopped
- green bell pepper, 3 T chopped
- olive oil, 1-2 T
- onion, 1/2 large sweet, chopped
- onion, yellow cooking, 3 T chopped
- Sauté finely chopped onion, green bell pepper and garlic in olive oil
- Add liquid from a can of black beans and bay leaf
- Simmer on very low heat for 20 minutes
- Add beans to warm but not cook them
- Garnish with chopped sweet onion
If you don't have black beans, you can substitute any other kind and they will taste great with this recipe.
You can also chop or blend the finished product and serve cold as a chip dip.
I like to add a cup of water, 1 t chicken bouillon, and if I have any leftovers, chicken and rice from the chicken dinner I often serve with these beans.