Thursday, March 11, 2010

PASTINA

PASTINA

My mom used to make this for me when I was little and I still love it. I make it for my grand kids and if they don't quite finish it, my son (their dad) will, as I used to make it for my kids. It is wonderful comfort food and I still have it for breakfast a couple times a week.

  • Butter, 1 t or less   
  • Chicken bouillon, 1 t or cube – adds flavor
  • Egg white
  • Pastina, 2-3 T per person
  • Spinach, frozen spinach or fresh (optional)
  • Water

    1. Put about 1-2“ water per serving in a small sauce pan
    2. Bring water to a boil
    3. Add chicken bouillon cube or 1 t paste
    4. Add 2-3 T pastina per serving
    5. Simmer uncovered on low heat
    6. Add a little more water if too thick and not done enough yet
    7. Stir frequently, don't leave, stay and attend
    8. Cook until pastina is done and water is almost gone
    9. Add egg white and stir until it turns white
    10. Stir in spinach (optional)
    11. Stir in butter and serve

I buy Ronzoni pastina that looks like tiny stars. Cooks in about 5 minutes.

If I can't find it I buy De Cecco - they make two pastas called Stellette and Acini de Pepe which are similar but with a slightly longer cooking time.

I use Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base. They also make a Vegetarian Base and have an organic line, too. This stuff is far better than bouillon cubes! Remember to keep it refrigerated.


Be sure to add more water if it is almost gone and pastina isn't done yet.

Keep an eye on it as it will stick to pan if not enough water. Don't put too much water as then it will be more like soup than like “baby” food.

Stir and taste frequently so it doesn't turn mushy (as it will if overcooked.)

Yummy comfort food for breakfast or a snack, kids and adults!

Substitute any veggie if you don't like spinach.

Alter this any way you like .... kids love it...I do too:))

No comments:

Post a Comment